Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thanksgiving, Smanksgiving...

WOOOHOOO - A WHOLE WEEK OFF! 
(I'm not excited... I promise) :) 

I wanted to share some of the fun things we were able to do this week in my esol room - schedule changes and all. With the help of one of my tried and true Scholastic books - 

And some amazing tpt things from Kristen Smith...


    
............................................................................................................

We were able to discuss the different meals eaten by both groups and compare the traditional harvest meal to our Thanksgiving meal. We built Mayflower replicas and discussed what we would have brought on our trip. Many of my children are from Korea, so this was a good opportunity to connect the curriculum and discuss what they brought with them on the plane, and why. 
We used the cutest bubble maps in the world - to assess prior knowledge - and the kids held onto them and added information to the back as they learned more. (yes - I forgot to save paper and copy 2 sided...but my impromptu note guide worked fabulously!)
We learned new vocabulary words...


So - we worked in writing, speaking, and listening... :) 

I wanted to make Indian Corn - but we ran out of time :( Maybe next year I'll do a better job with the craftivities. 

Here are some of my kiddos at work...




Hmmmm....Can't find anymore pictures of the activities! Bummer!

For those of you that still have a few days left - Make sure to check out Kristen's units - they are jam packed with amazing resources!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment