Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Wordle Wall

I was reading an article from Buzzfeed recently titled 19 Word Walls That Will Blow Your Mind. I came across this one...




I love word walls - when used properly they can be very beneficial to student learning. A word wall should not be a static fixture in your classroom - but an ever-changing and emerging display... I am a firm believer in adding content to my wall after I have taught it for children to continue referencing as the year goes on. I saw the word wall pictured above and it really got these wheels turning... trying to figure out how I could bring that into my classroom of second graders...

Here is what I have come up with...
I used the site wordle.net to create these science word clouds to add to my word wall. 
I started in a word doc - I typed all my vocabulary words in for the topic. The more times you type the word - the larger it will appear once you create your word cloud - so for the matter unit - 
I typed matter in 10 times
solid, liquid, gas ... 5 times....
evaporation, condensation, vapor, mixture, dissolve .... 4 times
(Get the picture?)
You can pick the font, color, distribution... 
I am pretty excited about this!
I am planning on making each content area a different color so the children can easily distinguish science/math/social studies/ela...

I'm off to play with more vocabulary and word clouds!

:) :) :) ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment