Friday, October 21, 2011

MTH: Thanksgiving on Thursday

I just found the rest of my set of books for my next big literature circle. I have downloaded it to my nook, but it just isn't the same as reading a real paper book. I think what aggravates me the most is having page numbers that don't match up with the actual story. I know in theory they do... but to me they don't.
I wish we had a few weeks to work on the book so that I could incorporate the research guide as well.  Those research guides are such a great idea to work some more challenging information into the story. It seems like the series has gotten harder over time - as Jack and Annie grow too. I finished Night of the New Magicians with my group about two weeks ago, and it had so much more information, facts, non-fiction ties, history, and historical references than Dinosaurs before Dark, or Dingos at Dinnertime. That was so smart - what a way to tie in non-fiction and fiction - I so love the Magic Tree House books :)

When I grow up I want to be Mary Pope Osborne :)

Now to think up some wonderful activities to tie into the book. I am so happy I arranged my curriculum to work on Native Americans in November - it was a good way to bring our social studies and Thanksgiving into the curriculum. I was thinking about building a Native American village and a Plymouth town for the kids to compare and contrast. We are actually studying the Creek and Cherokee Indians - so maybe they can c/c the southeastern tribes to the northeastern tribes... sorry - thinking while typing :) Any other ideas???

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I am a new follower. Thanks for following my blog, Cachey Mama's Classroom! What grade do you teach? I love everything about your blog so far, except the Gator stuff... I am an Ohio State alum :) I also favorited your etsy shop and followed some of your pinterest boards. Have a great day!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thank you! Oh boy - Ohio State??? Yikes! :) I appreciate that you followed and commented! :)

    ReplyDelete